A meal that warms the body on a cold winter day is treasured and handed down through generations. Fresh, soothing and hearty, baked comfort food can make even the worst day extra special. Here are some amazing recipes that can check all of those boxes:
1. Tortilla Bake
What you need
Here is what you need to make this hearty and sumptuous meal
- Ground beef (1 pound)
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- Stewed tomatoes (2 cans)
- Ground cumin (1 or 2 teaspoons)
- Flour corn tortillas (12 in total and 6 inches each)
- Salt and Pepper (Half a teaspoon each)
- Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup shredded)
- Cilantro (minced)
- Green chilies (1 can, drained)
- Enchilada sauce (1 cup)
- Heat a skillet large enough for your needs. Then cook the ground up onion and beef till the beef turns light brown. Get rid of excess water.
- Add in the tomatoes, the spices, seasoning, and the enchilada sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil before reducing the heat to a slow simmer.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- After the time is up, add over half of the meat sauce into a baking dish and set aside.
- Take some foil and wrap up the tortillas before warming them in the oven at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Take out the warm tortillas and spread cream cheese on each one. Add chilies for that extra kick.
- Fold the tortillas in half and spread them out on the meat sauce you set aside before. Pour the rest of the sauce on the top.
- Cover the baking tray and place it in the oven for 15 minutes at 350°.
- Take out the tray and spread the shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Place the tray back in the oven for 5 minutes till it melts.
- Spread cilantro on top and serve hot and piping!
2. Baked and Stuffed Chicken Cutlets
What you need
- Chicken cutlets (4)
- Plain Havarti cheese (4 slices)
- Heavy cream (1/4th cup)
- Mustard (1 tablespoon)
- Thyme (4 teaspoon chopped)
- Ground pepper (to taste)
- Eggs (2 large)
- Chicken stock (1/2 cup)
- Salt (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese (2 tablespoons)
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to about 350°
- Use a small knife to create small incisions in the side of each cutlet.
- Place the Havarti cheese slices in each incision and add 1 teaspoon of thyme in each.
- Press the sides of the incisions together to close them.
- Take a small pan and add the stock along with the heavy cream. Heat the mixture over medium heat until you have at least half a cup left in the pan.
- Mix in the mustard and give the mixture a slow boil for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add in salt and pepper according to taste at the end and remove the pan from the heat.
- Now beat the eggs and the parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with some olive oil.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the prepared cutlets and spread flour on each.
- Shake off excess flour and coat in the beaten eggs before placing in the hot oil.
- Fry each side over medium heat until golden. This shouldn’t take more than 2 minutes per side.
- Once they turn golden, transfer the cutlets to the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Pour heated sauce on the cutlets and serve hot.
- Chicken Parmesan with a Twist
What you need
- Eggs (2 large).
- Panko bread crumbs (2 cups).
- All-purpose flour (1/2 cup).
- Chicken breast halves (4 skinless).
- Milk (1/4th cup).
- Salt (to taste).
- Pepper (to taste)
- Pepperoni slices (as much as you like).
- Parsley (2 tablespoons chopped).
- Tomato sauce (1 and a half cup).
- Mozzarella cheese (1 cup sliced)
- Parmesan cheese (1/4th cup grated).
- Canola oil (3/4th cup)
- Preheat the oven to about 450°F.
- Beat the eggs with 1 teaspoon of milk in a bowl.
- Spread the panko and the flour in two separate flat plates.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken and dredge in the flour before dipping in the egg and then the panko. Place the prepared chicken to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and fry each piece of chicken over medium-high heat. Each side should take 7 minutes tops to cook through.
- Wipe up excess oil from the cooked chicken with a paper towel before transferring to a baking sheet.
- Add tomato sauce, pepperoni, and parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes till the cheese melts.
- Serve the dish with parsley sprinkled on top.
With such delightful baked comfort food recipes at your fingertips, this winter will be one you won’t soon forget.